In Scotland, May is whisky month. And in case you were too busy drinking whisky than to read about it, here’s a round-up of all the latest whisky news.
Glenrothes Distillery has been bought back by previous owners, Edrington, from wine and spirits merchant, Berry Bros & Rudd (Scotch Whisky).
Aldi’s Highland Black 8 Year Old Whisky, which is priced at just £12.99 a bottle, beat off competition from big rivals at the International Spirits Challenge (AOL). And the Ardbeg Kelpie was named Whisky of the Year at the International Whisky Competition Awards (Insider).
Loch Lomond Group has secured a major new distribution deal in China (Insider).
Following the successful relaunch of its Queen Street branch last year, the Scotch Malt Whisky Society is to open a new bar in London from 2 June (Bar Magazine). Edinburgh’s Scotch Whisky Experience has also opened a new display dedicated to ‘The Fathering of Blending’, Andrew Usher (Scotch Whisky).
On The Rocks festival will take place on the Isle of Eriskay this June, which is inspired by the remake of Whisky Galore! (Press & Journal).
- anCnoc 2002 Vintage – has been matured in Spanish and American oak casks for over 14 years (The Whisky Business)
- Ben Bracken – Lidl has launched three new expressions, which cost just £17.49 a bottle (The Whisky Business)
- Diageo has announced its Islay bottlings with a 16 Year Old Lagavullin double matured in Moscatel casks and a no-age statement Caol Ila, which has been double matured in Amoroso casks (The Whisky Business)
- Douglas Laing have released Big Peat’s Pals and Provenance Caol Ila 6 Years Old as part of Islay’s whisky festival (The Drinks Report)
- Glen Scotia 25 Year Old – joined the core range at the Campbeltown Malts Festival (Scotch Whisky)
- Jura Tastival 2017 – released to mark the distillery’ annual whisky festival on 1 June (The Whisky Business)
- Mackmyra Ten Years – is said to be Sweden’s first age-statement whisky (The Spirits Business)
- Port Charlotte Transparency – Bruichladdich’s festival bottling will have a batch code which consumers can use to access the precise recipe of the vatting (Scotch Whisky)
- Scallywag 13 Year Old – the first globally available age-statement expression for the brand (The Spirits Business)
- Shackleton – a new blended whisky created in honour of legendary polar explorer, Sir Ernest Shackleton (Scotch Whisky)
- The Double – Compass Box releases “the world’s simplest” blended whisky, which contains just one single malt and one single grain whisky (Scotch Whisky)
- The Kingship Collection – Hunter Laing has unveiled a range of six single malts, which will be available exclusively from their new shop on Islay (The Whisky Business)
- The One Pedro Ximenez – just 5,252 bottles have been released by the English distiller (The Spirits Business)
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society has released three peated single cask whiskies to celebrate its presence at the Islay Festival of Music and Malt (The Drinks Report)
World Whisky Day founder, Blair Bowman, set a world record for the number of whisky distilleries visited in one day (The Drinks Business).