Another month means another month of freshly distilled whisky news.
The Scotch Whisky Association has named Karen Betts as its new chief executive – the first woman in the organisation’s 105-year history to take on the role (BBC News).
Inverclyde Council gave the green light for plans to build a new distillery in Ardgowan near Inverkip, 30 miles west of Glasgow (Imbibe). And Ardross Distillery – which is due to be built north of Inverness – has secured planning approval from Highland Council (Scotch Whisky).
Scotch whisky has helped drive Scotland’s food and drink exports to an all-time high of £5.5bn (The Courier). The Scotch whisky industry has committed itself to providing calorie information on its labels (The Herald).
Johnnie Walker Platinum Label is set to relaunch as Johnnie Walker Aged 18 Years, along with fresh packaging (Scotch Whisky).
Whisky distilling is to return to Leith of the first time in over a century, with the first purpose built single malt distillery (Imbibe).
And Kent’s new “grain to glass” distillery, Copper Rivet, has started production of its single malt English whisky line (The Spirits Business).
- Ardbeg Kelpie – a new single malt aged in virgin Black Sea oak casks, is set to launch on Ardbeg Day (Off Licence News)
- BenRiach Peated Cask Strength – the first batch in the distillery’s new peated, cask strength range of whiskies (The Whisky Business)
- Benromach Sassicaia Wood Finish 2009 – initially matured in first fill bourbon barrels, before being finished in Sassicaia wine casks (The Drinks Report)
- Glemorangie Pride 1974 – the distillery’s “oldest and rarest” expression to date (The Spirits Business)
- The Glenrothes Wine Merchant’s Collection – a new range of whiskies which have been finished in casks from some of the world’s finest wine estates (The Whisky Business)
- Kilchoman Loch Gorm – a non-age bottling which has been matured exclusively in Oloroso sherry casks (The Whisky Business)
- Tamdhu 50 Year Old – the oldest ever whisky from the distillery has been launched to mark its 120th anniversary (Imbibe)
- The Last Drop 1972 Lochside Single Grain Scotch Whisky – the latest (and eighth) release from the rare spirits specialist (Scotch Whisky)
- The Norfolk – a new range of single grain whiskies from The English Whisky Company (The Drinks Report)
- Tomatin Five Virtues – a new limited-edition series, which draws inspiration from nature’s elements (The Drinks Report)
- The Glenturret Jamieson’s Jigger Edition – a 29 year old which is named after long-time cooper (The National)
The remake of Whisky Galore will be released in cinema’s this May (BBC News).