With all these Bank Holidays, you must be well behind on your whisky news. Well, lucky I’ve got a round-up for you below.
The Craigellachie 31 Year Old was named the World’s Best Single Malt at the World Whiskies Awards (Bar Magazine).
The Scotch Whisky Association has announced that exports increased in the last year by 4%, to just over £4 billion, with the value of single malts passing £1 billion for the first time (The Times).
Ian Macleod Distillers has unveiled a packaging refresh for its Pig’s Nose and Sheep Dip blended whiskies (The Whisky Business). Highland Park has unveiled a radical packaging redesign which taps into its Viking heritage, and its accompanied by a new series of special edition bottlings (Scotch Whisky).
Glenlivet Distillery is to fund vital research into the effects climate change could have on Scotch whisky (Press & Journal).
The Scotch whisky industry has “declared war” on a mystery businessman who claims to represent many of the biggest brands in world spirts (The Herald).
William Grants & Sons has announced its acquisition of New York State’s Tuthilltown Spirits (The Whisky Business). And Swedish whisky producer, Mackmyra is to open a stand-alone Lab Distillery as it seeks to develop innovative spirits (The Spirits Business).
Unite has launched a “Save Our Scotch” campaign in reaction to Diageo’s decision to cut 100 jobs in Fife and Glasgow (The Herald), whilst the company has also handed £600,000 to good causes on Islay to mark the distillery’s 200th anniversary (Press & Journal).
LoneWolf – BrewDog’s spirits operation – has launched its initial range of vodka and gin, with tonic and soda to boot (Imbibe).
And the man who assembled the World’s Largest Collection of Scotch Whisky, Claive Vidiz, returned to Scotland to check-up on his collection (Scotch Whisky).
- Benromach 1975 – a new 41 year old, released as part of the distillery’s Heritage range (The Whisky Business)
- Benromach 1976 – a new limited edition, visitor centre exclusive expression (The Whisky Business)
- Diageo Special Releases 2017 – the company has announced the first nine expressions in the ten-bottle collection (The Whisky Business)
- Highland Park Rebus30 – released to mark the 30th anniversary of Ian Rankin’s most famous creation (Imbibe)
- Highland Park Valkyrie – the first expression in the new Viking Legend series (The Whisky Business)
- Johnnie Walker Aged 18 Year – the relaunched version of Johnnie Walker Platinum Label (The Drinks Report)
- Johnnie Walker Blenders’ Batch Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish – the travel retail exclusive has been finished for six months in former rye casks (The Spirits Business)
- Kilchoman 100% Islay Seventh Edition – produced using barley grown exclusively at the distillery (The Whisky Business)
- Shackelton – a new blended Scotch whisky from Whyte & Mackay (The Spirits Business)
- The Glenlivet has released a trio of new single cask Scotch whiskies, exclusively in travel retail (Scotch Whisky)
- The Glover 18 Year Old – the fourth release of Fusion Whisky and Adelphi Distillery’s Scotch and Japanese blended whisky hybrid (The Whisky Business)
Blair Bowman is attempting to set a world record for the most distillery visits in one day, whilst gathering a selected of bottles to be raffled for charity (Forbes).